Saturday, October 4, 2014

Broken But Mended She Had An Arranged Marriage At 17 Divorced By 31 But She Celebrating Today

Found this story of Amara Blessing which was published first on RomanceMeetsLife and just had to share it here too.

Ms Amara Blessing-Nwosu who is now a writer and relationship consultant, counseling young people on relationship and health issues, and managing an NGO, the Dorcas Generation Initiative, was made to go into early marriage for her father/ family considerations. She has an arranged marriage at 17, had four children - two boys and two girls - but the marriage collapsed 5 years ago due to abuse.

The joy of it all is that she has found love again :)

She got married yesterday for the second time to Francis Van-Lare, her US-based fiance.

Read her touching story below and see more photos from her wedding:

LIFE AS A YOUNG GIRL


I was born in a village - Ihiala, in Anambra State, where I also spent my early years. I attended Community Primary School and Girls High School all in Ihiala before I got married. Thereafter I attended Yaba College of Technology to read Business Administration before I went to the University of Lagos in 2000 to read Curriculum Education.

HER TRUNCATED DREAMS


Before I got married at the age of 17, I got admission to read Medicine and Surgery at the University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus (UNEC), but my husband then (now ex-husband) stopped me from fulfilling my dream of being a medical doctor.

FAMILY BACKGROUND


I was born into a good Christian home. My father is a pastor and had been a pastor for 45 years. I have six siblings, and I am the first daughter and the third child.

MARRIED LIFE


I got married at the age of 17, just after leaving secondary school to Mr. Ulasi from Nnewi because they are our family friend. So, it was like being pushed to a total stranger; somebody I knew nothing about. I never enjoyed the marriage from the first day. I did not even know the man because, as a Christian I believe that I should not live with a man before I got married. I got into his house three days to our wedding here in Lagos.

FAMILY'S ROLE IN HER EARLY MARRIAGE


My father initially refused the marriage, but he later agreed in order to protect his relationship with my ex-husband's family. My former husband's brother was very close to my father and was always coming to my father for prayer and counseling. My father was just there as their family pastor. So, they pleaded with him to give them his daughter and that was it.

EXPERIENCE DURING MARRIAGE


In fact my pains started two days after the wedding. While the marriage lasted, there was nothing like happiness. I was in the marriage for 13 years 10 months. I don't like remembering those years because it was years of miseries and pains. I was dying inside and people were seeing just the wealth, the beautiful cars, the holidays abroad, the treats and all that. It was only my very close friend, who knew what I was going through, but I couldn't tell anybody because of my kind of upbringing. I was brought up to keep my home and was committed to just doing that.

LIFE AS A COUNSELOR


People were bringing their own wives for counseling, especially from the church and the estate where we live. People were coming to me with their problems, but I just couldn't disappoint them. I think God took me through it and brought me out. For me to be alive, without scars on my body, is a miracle. If you look at the things God is using me to do in the lives of women in relationships, you will know that God used that experience to prepare me for the job ahead.

I have four kids-two boys and two girls. They are now with me, because the court gave me custody of the children. I spend about 1.2 million every term for their education because my ex-husband has never contributed anything for the children's upkeep since we separated about three years ago. I don't want to fight him. I have decided to take my eyes away from man and focuses on God. God will always make a name for Himself. I have wonderful friends that help out too.

The Dorcas Generation Initiative is something I am passionate about; I always have this soft spot for widows and the less privileged, even when I was still married. I started that between 1998 and1999 when I joined a women fellowship. I was the vice president and later president. In that fellowship, we experienced what is happening in our churches these days - where the rich are separated from the poor. I started wondering why do people turn their backs against the poor people and treat them as if they are animals. I would leave my house to visit them in their houses from one room to the other, putting smiles on their faces.

I remember sometimes during fellowship days, when I would carry them from their homes, because I wanted to create an atmosphere where they know that they deserve better lives and treatment.

That was how it started and they became very close to me and I saw myself bringing them into my house, cook for them, started businesses for some of them, spend time with them, counsel them and give some money.

So, that is how it started and in 2009 some thing happened when I was locked out of my matrimonial home because of a girl friend, who sent my former husband a text message (SMS) that she wanted to become Mrs Ulasi.

When I was locked out, I remembered those women fasted for me for three days. The whole widows fasted and prayed for me for three days. When I heard what they did, I was touched that this women loved me this much to have done that.

When I came out of my marriage, I found myself spending more time with them.

LIFE AFTER SEPARATION


Between 2008 and 2009, I was not my self. With all the sponsored negative publications and everything, I had to withdraw from public engagements. But my mentor, Senator Babafemi Ojodu, encouraged me to start writing then. He also called me and say, this your thing about widows why don't you make it official since you have passion for this. That is how the Dorcas Generation started

ADVISE FOR YOUNGER GIRLS


I have a column for singles on facebook, where we discuss a lot of issues bordering on relationships. By the second week of December, I will start a monthly conference for singles as well as a television programme. This is because a lot of things are going wrong when it comes to relationships.

Many are attracted to the wrong things and people get into relationship for the wrong reasons. Ladies should look for a man, whose heart, God had touched. It is not about being spiritual; some

people are spiritual, but their hearts have not been touched by God.

In fact, most very spiritual people do not make good husbands. I tell people to avoid very spiritual men as husband, but rather look for men, who genuinely love God and have conscience.

For women, I tell guys that look at the physical beauty, not get attracted to the wrong thing. It is not about beauty or education; look for women, who have found favour before God.

When I left Unilag and my husband stopped me from working and going for my Masters, I noticed that I have this flair for anything beauty and human body and that is why initially, I wanted to go into Medicine. I later took up interest in setting up a beauty spa centre, called Life Plus Gym and Beauty Spa Ltd.WHY SHE IS REMARRYING:

"We sometimes wish certain gifts came our way earlier. Sometimes I wish we had met each other some twenty years ago when I was sent into that hell on earth. But on a second thought, I know it wouldn't be as beautiful as it is now. God often take us through the bad to make us appreciate the good when it comes. Even my living for six years as a single mom of four, I met the good, the bad, and the ugly; some came with too much money believing that is what I needed; others came with their "fine boy' thinking Amara is after those things (I am not one of those women who thrive in vanity).

I remember praying to God not to allow me make another bad choice and suddenly, God brought you my way. Initially, I saw you as one of "those men", it took me several months to fight with my spirit that was leading me to you. I told you straight to your face that I didn't like you. But you simply, without struggle, told me that I am your wife and I can go wherever I like, but I must come back to be your wife. God showed me that He is with you and when I saw your heart, a heart that genuinely loves God, I was attracted to you. I was excited to know that there is this man who won't take me away from God. I was excited to see a man who is interested in seeing the best of me. I was happy to see a man who speaks the truth in love. You daily give me your best thereby drawing out the best in me. All my life, no man has drawn my heart out the way you do. You make me glow like a child. God used you to restore my glory and my joy. My mum recently looked at me and all she could say was, "this is my daughter, Amara; this is that girl I knew". Words cannot express how much I love you and that's why sometimes, you just see me staring at you without a word. I never knew it could be this way, I have a reason to glorify the name of Jesus Christ and love Him more without reservation; I don't know why she loves me specially.

From my heart of hearts, I say this: You are my superhero; you are the warrior who fought and made it through my heart. Others failed my little and simple tests; you showed me that you are a man who is in control and will forever be in control. Many came acting 'good boy' around me, they thought that is what Amara wanted, they believed I was carried away by their pretenses, I wasn't; I was only being a proper Anambra woman, raised in the village, with her head together. When we finally met, I knew you are the one and without thinking whose ox was gored, I took a step into destiny. Thank God for His Holy Spirit, He enables me to see what others don't see. Many came to me calling themselves prophets and prophetesses trying to talk me out of. God's divine plan; they goofed because I was raised with the word of God in my hands. I know God's voice when I hear one.

I daily pray, asking God to make you the man you should be, to yourself, our home, and the world. You are a great man and great shall you ever be. I know what I see when I look at you. God will keep you for me and give me the grace to be the woman I should be to you, never to hurt you in any way. If I should ever think of causing you pain, let God take me away before I do.

I love you Francis Van-Lare you are the king of my heart. Jesus remains Lord over our home.

Photos from her wedding yesterday



Origin: new-generation-witch.blogspot.com